Friday, April 2

Leapin' Tadpoles Batman!!!

(Disclaimer: I began writing this post in February shortly after photographing a jumping derby held at Paradise Farm. In typical Aiken-fashion, I got caught up with so many other activities after the derby that I never got back to it.)   

     Sometimes I wonder why I accept requests (or why I offer) to photograph smaller events / schooling shows that run only lower levels, and I mean the really low levels like elementary, first time out, tadpole divisions; where many of the competitors come to school their young, very green horses.
     If you think it's a challenge to catch "the moment" when a horse is gracefully arched over the crest of a high fence, just try to capture any good jumping moments over 12-18" jumps.  Timing is very tricky.  In most cases, the horse's front feet are on the ground before the hind feet have left it.
   
 The second challenge is selling such photos when the rider's mental image is of a George Morris Approved form with all 4 feet tucked and in the air.  I'm really good with Photoshop, but not that good. 
       








       
         On the other hand there are times when tiny jumps evoke an explosive reaction resulting in some really neat pics. These are the horses who are terrified of letting that obstacle anywhere near their hooves. I often wonder what they really see as they approach an innocuous cross rail or 18" vertical pole and are asked to take off and jump OVER it!?!  These images can be priceless ... knees up to the ears, leaping at least 2x higher than the jump.
       Karen Dempsey and her Appendix gelding "Wyoming" illustrated this point superbly at the Paradise Farm Derby... (she has graciously allowed me to use these images).   I wonder what George Morris would have to say about this "Leapin' Tadpole"?  Seems to me Karen should get the blue just for staying on and for looking so good at it!

      

No comments:

Post a Comment