Wednesday, February 10

I'm a PHOTOGRAPHER ... so why can't I stay FOCUSED?!

     I normally consider these winter months to be my "off season", the short span between the last shoot of the old year and the first shoot of the new year. Orders crawl to a trickle, "lots of time" I tell myself to catch up on the digital/photo/computer/horse worlds.  This is when I can spruce up the website, make improvements to the way I run the business, keep informed of new stuff in the industry, work on my stock library, and teach myself HTML, CSS, Dreamweaver, WordPress ... maybe even curl up with a good book before bed!
   
     In reality? My brain is running in circles like a crazed weasel, overwhelmed with everything I want /need to do before April 9 (when I head back to Maine and prepare for the new season). I jump from one task to another, but never stay long enough to finish any of them.  In other words, I CAN'T STAY FOCUSED!  sheesh, not a good thing for a professional photographer to admit.

     Example:  I've found all kinds of on-line tutorials to teach me html, css, etc, but am bogged down with where to start, what to learn first. As soon as I settle in front of the monitor with a cup of coffee to listen to instructional videos, I get an email that needs attention, FuzzButt starts scratching on something she shouldn't, never failing to get MY attention "PLAY with ME, NOW!" or my brain suddenly thinks of something else I need to learn about that is a tad more interesting than the current choice... the sun is shining, the temps are above freezing and Irish needs to be ridden...
   
     Then there is the world of networking, social and professional with which I have a love/hate relationship. I dragged my feet about joining Facebook, until I learned that it is a great way to market Hoof Pix® (I have a Page for those of you reading this and might want to become "fans"). I even discovered that I can put up a Storefront on my page to sell the cards, posters, etc. (check it out!). But as most of you know, the time spent with Facebook can be overwhelming.
    
     Yesterday I discovered Google Reader that supposedly simplifies checking on all the RSS feeds of the websites/blogs of which I subscribe to keep informed. Sure, everything is all in one place, nicely organized to let me know what's new, old, read, not read.  That's the "love" part. The "hate" part is that it still takes TIME to review stuff, and of course every new post on all of my favorites has even more links to even more very interesting "must know" stuff.  The end result?  day gone... *poof*!
     
     Yeah, I am learning tons, and getting my business name out there "networking" but have I done anything with respect to updating the website, re-structuring the business, creating new card/poster designs, bringing in any INCOME!  posting more regularly here?!! 
      
     Well, it just took an hour to write this post and now I have to get ready to head over to Full Gallop Farm H.T. and try to hold my heavy camera in sub-freezing, 25 mph winds.


     ... focus Pam, FOCUS!


   

No comments:

Post a Comment