Saturday, February 7

Getting to Know Aiken

      Say "hello" to Sophie (named after Bobbie's younger granddaughter who wants a bunny). Sophie pays a visit to our yard on a daily basis. She (he?) is one of two domestic bunnies who have the run of the neighborhood much to the dismay of the three dogs who live next door. Sophie is very friendly and will come up to you for an ear scratch, then zip away faster than you can blink. My cat, Kabootle, met Sophie yesterday... at a distance.

    Aiken is a lovely place, reminiscent of New Orleans I am told (having never been there). The shops go on forever and there is an abundance of wonderful eateries (so much for the diet!). While touring the streets a few days ago, we stopped into Equine Devine, a small boutique packed with an eclectic assortment of equine artwork and merchandise. While chatting with the store owner, Betsy Brandt (my Maine neighbor and Aiken winter resident) started pitching my fine-art cards. As a result (thanks neighbor!) I was invited to bring them in to show to the owner. One of several events happening right now is called 'Hunt Week', a festival of hunting marked by numerous breakfasts, tailgate & cocktail parties. Equine Devine is hosting a wine/cheese party this coming Wed. and the owner hinted that if she likes my cards she will set up a display during the party! Great news right?!  well, kind of....

     I had not yet unpacked the card boxes from the horse trailer that is parked at the farm, I need to have more printed, not to mention create new designs and get those printed & shipped to me... all before Wed. Fortunately, I have some fun images of the polo game taken here last year. I designed a couple of cards using images shot in slow shutter speed, my favorite 'motion blur' technique, and played with filters in Photoshop that make the images look like they are painted in watercolor.


    As far as Irish... I have found time to mount up for 2 more rides! We have been venturing out in solo mode and exploring more of the wonderful sandy roads, even trotting a bit. Irish feels like he could head right out on the XC course, my legs don't. But I am not as sore as I had thought, thankfully.
 
    The BEventing group had hoped to go to Full Gallop farm yesterday for a XC school, but discovered that the course is not yet open for schooling. They ended up going to Hopeland, an older set-up with fewer jumps, but a good outing nevertheless for the babies. I opted to shoot another time, and stayed here to work on the cards. Babette said they may find a place to go on Sunday, meanwhile we will enjoy the increasing warmth at the farm today. 



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pam, every day I am soo excited to read your blog. Meghan is luckey to be there with all of you. The farm looks lovely and I can hardly wait to see it for myself. Please keep the pixs comming and I will see you on the 17th.
Linda Smith

Unknown said...

Reading your blog updates makes me want to book a flight to Aiken RIGHT NOW! :)

Pamela Blades Eckelbarger said...

Hey Elizabeth... come on.. I've got a guest room :))

Post a Comment