Thursday, February 19

Something Different

  As I mentioned in the last entry... 'someone's gotta run the business', so that is what I did this past Monday. I braved the frigid air (40's with a wind) and went out to photograph the Windsor Horse Driving Trials at Katydid Farm.

  For those unfamiliar, a driving trial is similar to an event with 3 phases: dressage, cones (= show jumping)



and a marathon (= X-country) with a number of hazards (=jumps). 

 





I am a newbie at all of this too which makes shooting all the more fun because I love learning about a different discipline. Just as in eventing, everyone was very pleasant and happy to answer questions and tell me when I was in the way... which was more of a challenge when it came to capturing the exciting images at the water hazard! 


 
Depending on the level (training, preliminary, intermediate & advanced), the path through the hazard might not be taken the same way by each competitor. Just when I thought I had the perfect angle and was out of harm's way.... NOT!!

  The roster was not huge, ~ 30 entries, but a wonderful collection of breeds including minis, Modern Shetland ponies, Arabians,
Haflingers and Dales being handled by drivers well known in the world of CDEs (Muffy Seaton, Sherri Dolan, Jennifer Matheson (organizer), Suzy Stafford and others).

As is often the case when I shoot a competition like this, there is too much going on all at the same time. I found myself running back and forth between the cones and the water hazard, and only captured a few dressage tests. All in all, a great time resulting in some exciting photos.
  











   Tomorrow it's back to our world of eventing. Lucy, Meghan and Emily are all competing at Paradise Farm Horse Trials. The event runs over 3 days with one phase per day.
 This means I will be able to ride Irish before heading to the grounds to 'record' the B-Event Team at their bestest! 
Stay tuned!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome! I love the pic of the little mini!! When we are too old and creaky to throw our leg over the saddle, it's nice to know that we could still "book it" over the river and through the woods, with a nice warm blanket over our lap... and perhaps a flask with "anti freeze" in the back seat!

Anonymous said...

This is my goal with Alaric... Combined driving until he is 6 and then on to eventing then back to combined driving at 18. I've started him getting used to the harness and he will be started on ground driving this spring and should be driving by the end of the summer.

Post a Comment